Because it works so well, there are lots of things that might lead you to think about PrEP as a way of staying HIV-negative:
- I’m dating or hooking up with a guy who is HIV-positive
- I don’t always use condoms
- I don’t know the HIV status of the guys I’m having sex with
- I have sex when I’m drunk or high
- I like to hook up with a lot of guys
- There are things in my past that make it hard for me to make the decisions I want to when it comes to safe sex
- Guys pressure me into having sex without condoms
- I want to take control over my sexual health and PrEP will help me do that
- Since being sexually assaulted, I’m more anxious about the sex I’m having
- I’m working as an escort, rentboy, or sex worker
A simple checklist to figure out if PrEP might be right for you!
If any of these apply to you, PrEP could be a highly effective way of protecting yourself from HIV just like using condoms or, in an emergency, taking PEP. If you want to, there are a few ways to start the conversation about HIV with your partners. But if you think PrEP is right for you, talk to a doctor!